Windows 11 is Microsoft’s newest operating system. With its new design, new applications and new features (improved tablet mode, Snap Layouts, DirectStorage technology, etc.), the latest OS from the Redmond company is full of novelties and appeals.
If your PC is Windows 11 compatible, you can install it now on your computer.
- Want to install a fresh copy of Windows 11 on a computer?
- Want to install Windows 11 on a blank SSD or hard drive (HDD)?
- Do you want to install Windows 11 instead of Windows 10 or another operating system already installed on a computer?
In this tutorial, we will see how to install Windows 11 from A to Z on a computer, step by step.
Upgrade: Are you on Windows 10 and want to upgrade your system to Windows 11? Follow this tutorial: Upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11 for free.
To install Windows 11, you will need:
- A PC with the minimum system requirements for Windows 11:
- CPU: 1 GHz or higher, 2 cores minimum, 64-bit
- RAM: 4 GB or more
- Disk: 64 GB or more
- GPU: DirectX 12 compatible with WDDM 2.0 driver
- Motherboard with UEFI firmware
- TPM 2.0 security chip
- An ISO of Windows 11
- A USB key of at least 8 GB
Install Windows 11 on a PC
Create Windows 11 Installation USB Key
First step, you have to create a Windows 11 installation USB key.
Start by downloading an ISO of Windows 11.
Then create your Windows 11 installation USB key from the downloaded ISO using the Rufus software.
Enable TPM 2.0
Second step, you must activate the TPM 2.0 security chip in the UEFI settings.
Note: if you do not have a TPM 2.0 security chip, you can still install Windows 11 by forcing its installation (see below).
Boot the PC from the USB key
Third step, you have to start your computer from the Windows 11 installation USB key that we have just created.
If you are on Windows 10, you can achieve this easily by opening Advanced Boot Options > Use Device > EFI USB Device.
Install Windows 11
Fourth step, install Windows 11 on the disk (SSD or HDD) of your computer:
1. After selecting the USB drive from the boot menu, press any key on your keyboard to start the Windows 11 installer.
2. Choose your language preferences.
3. Click the Install Now button.
4. At the “Activate Windows” window, depending on your situation:
- you have a branded PC with Windows 11 pre-installed: you do not have this window. The installer automatically reads the Windows 11 product key present in the computer’s motherboard.
- you have a Windows 11, 10, 8.1 or 7 product key: enter your product key.
- your PC has a Windows 11 digital license obtained after upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Click “I don’t have a Product Key”: Windows 11 will automatically activate a once the installation is complete.
5. If you clicked “I don’t have a Product Key”, select the edition of Windows 11 to install.
6. If you try to install Windows 11 on a computer without TPM 2.0 or Secure Boot, you will get the following error message:
This PC can’t run Windows 11
This PC does not meet the minimum system requirements to install this version of Windows. For more information visit https://aka.ms/WindowsSysReq
7. Accept the terms of the license agreement.
8. Select the Custom: Install Windows only (advanced).
9. At the “Where do you want to install Windows?” », depending on your situation:
- your disk is blank: select the unallocated space then click Next.
- your disk contains an old Windows installation:
- you want to keep a copy of the old Windows in the C:\Windows.old folder: select the Windows partition (the largest, of the Main type) then click Next.
- you want to erase the old Windows: select the Main > Format > OK partition then click Next.
10. Wait while Windows 11 installs.
11. After Windows 11 installation is complete, your computer will restart. Make sure that it boots from the system disk (the one on which you installed Windows 11) and not from the Windows 11 installation USB key.
Windows 11 is installed: now let’s go to the configuration of Windows 11.
Configure Windows 11
Fifth and final step, setting up Windows 11 through the OOBE (Out of Box Experience), a series of screens that prompt you to accept the license agreement, connect to the Internet, and configure certain Windows settings and features :
1. Select English as the display language.
2. Select the country United States.
3. Select US as the keyboard layout.
4. Add a second keyboard layout if needed.
5. Wait while checking for updates.
6. Give the computer a name.
7. Select Set up for personal use.
8. Sign in with your Microsoft account or create one to take advantage of all Windows 11 features.
on Windows 11 Professional: click Sign-in options > Offline account.
9. Create a PIN to sign in to your computer faster.
10. If you already had a Windows computer, you can restore your settings and preferences to this new PC.
11. This is followed by screens concerning telemetry and data collection. Unless you have a particular need, it is recommended to refuse all settings that collect personal data.
12. If you want personalized recommendations in Windows 11, select the way(s) you plan to use your computer. For more privacy, select Ignore.
13. Wait while the Windows 11 installation process completes.
14. Once the installation is complete, skip the lock screen and log in with your user account.
15. You arrive on the Windows 11 Desktop: discover and enjoy your new operating system!
Congratulation ! You have installed Windows 11 on your computer