Sometimes, we need to download Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 ISO ! Whether it’s to start a system repair or to do a fresh installation of Windows, having the ISO file of one or more versions of Windows is essential.
Microsoft has offered solutions allowing free download of ISO for Windows 7, 8.1 or 10. No need to start downloading an ISO image of Windows from suspicious sites !
Windows 10 ISO
Via the Microsoft site
1. Open the Download Windows 10 Disk Image page (microsoft.com).
Note: if you are on a PC running on Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, you will be redirected to the download page of the media creation tool. Fortunately, you can bypass this redirect by following these instructions:
- With Google Chrome: open the development tools with Ctrl + Shift + i, open the mobile mode with Ctrl + Shift + M, select a device (e.g. Nexus 6P) then reload the page.
- With Mozilla Firefox: open the adaptive view with Ctrl + Shift + M, select a device (e.g. Google Nexus 7) then reload the page. To be able to use the form fields, deactivate the simulation of touch events by clicking on the icon.
- With Microsoft Edge: open the development tools (F12) then select a Microsoft Lumia device in the Emulation tab.
2. Select the version and the language of Windows 10 and click Confirm button.
3. Click the button corresponding to the Windows architecture (32 or 64 bit) you want to obtain. In 99% of cases, you will need the 64 bit version.
Via the media creation tool
- Download the media creation tool (Windows 10).
- Open the newly downloaded media creation tool. On the first screen, accept the terms of the license agreement.
- On the first screen, select Create installation media for another PC.
- Select the language and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit or both). In 99% of cases, you will need the 64-bit version.
- Select the ISO file option.
- Choose a destination directory for the Windows 10 ISO. I advise you to rename the file to Win10_ [language] _ [architecture] .iso. This will allow you later to identify the exact version of Windows 10 that you have downloaded.
- Windows 10 ISO download begins.
- Once the download is complete, click the Finish button.
Windows 8.1 ISO
- Open the Download Windows 8.1 Disk Image (ISO file) page (microsoft.com).
- Select the Windows 8.1 edition. Prefer the classic edition “Windows 8.1” which includes multimedia features (Windows Media Player and related technologies).
- Select English language
- Click the button corresponding to the Windows architecture (32 or 64 bit) that you want to install. In 99% of cases, you will need the 64-bit version.
Windows 7 ISO
- Open the Download Windows 7 Disk Images (ISO Files) page (microsoft.com).
- The procedure for downloading ISO for Windows 7 differs from that for downloading Windows 10 or 8.1. Here you need to enter your Windows 7 product key and then – after verification – Microsoft website will offer to download the ISO of Windows 7 version corresponding to the product key entered. At the bottom of the page, enter your Windows 7 product key.
- After verifying the validity of your product key, the site displays the version of Windows 7 to which you are entitled. Select the desired product language and click Confirm.
- Then click on the button corresponding to the Windows 7 architecture you want to download (32 or 64 bit). In 99% of cases, you will need the 64-bit version.
- Select a destination directory and click Save.